Thursday, July 05, 2007

# 66 Visit Newport, RI

I just got word from my boss--the president said we should go!

We have a major donor who we will feature in the next issue of the alumni magazine because the building that bears her name is opening. So we have to interview her. In person. And it just so happens that she summers (c'mon, she's a major donor and she "summers") in Newport. I am going for an overnight trip for a what, one hour, interview. YAY ME. Total score, I get to do one of the things on the list, and someone else is going to pay for it. I'd never have imagined it when I wrote the list.

I hope she has one of those major houses that I want to see inside of...

2 comments:

Brave Astronaut said...

How cool to get to so somewhere and have someone else pay for it! Welcome to the "official junket."

I went to Newport for my first honeymoon. It was grand. You'll have a great time.

Of the mansions, I really like Beechwood. You get a show with your tour. "Members of the Astor Family" show you around their house (played by actors).

I like Kingscote and Chateau-sur-Mer instead of the Breakers and the other biggies. But I think you can get a pretty good combo ticket.

You also use to be able to tour Hammersmith Farm (where Jackie Kennedy grew up), but I hear it's now gone private again.

Have fun. We'll see you in a week!

Anonymous said...

I'd also recommend Chateau-sur-Mer. Also, don't miss out on Newport's non-mansion attractions. Touro Synagogue is very cool. There's also a nice museum on the Navy base.