Wednesday, June 21, 2006

#1 Go to One Cultural Event Per Month for Three Months

Last night, we went to see Itzhak Perlman at the Mann Center for the Performing Arts. We had lawn tickets, which is my first experience with that--despite the fact that I always got my tickets to the Hollywood Bowl free. We ended up surrounded by two Hispanic families (kids about 8-14), an old couple, and a group of multicultural urban sophisticates. Who was the worst behaved? Yup, the urban sophisticates, one of whom thought hitting her boyfriend with a piece of cardboard while Itzhak Perlman played was a good idea. People! I tell you. They did manage to shut up proving music hath charms to soothe the savage breast beast. Here's a tip for them though. When they say it begins at 8:00, they mean it. So, if you're going to sort out your picnic and gabble, arrive before 7:55. The old people came in second, because that's just how old people are. They know that they could die at any moment so it is terrifically important to talk when they get an idea in their head. They had the sense to whisper at least. Of course, the old guy got up in the middle of the last piece to go to the bathroom and then provided minutes of entertainment as he wandered around looking for his seat in the dark. And his date helped, by squirming about, trying to think of a way to attract his attention without shouting, "hey, over here." Which was really quite kind of her.

I don't think I can do the performances justice because I am pretty lame in the music department. My parents weren't really into music, and for some reason I didn't take the easy-A music appreciation class in college. The dude, who has heard quite a bit in his day, and even plays the clarinet, did exclaim, "That bloke can fiddle!"

But he also thought the Italian tuna sandwich I brought for dinner from Carmen was the "finest tuna hoagie in Philadelphia, and thus, the world!" He was exclaiming a bit last night. But I do think he was right about the hoagie.

The fireworks were really great too.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Perleman! I am so jealous!