Thursday, June 22, 2006

#25 Find Out How Much a Combine Costs

You may think this is a weird item to have on my list. I'm a writer; I do fundraising for an academic medical facility in a major American city. Why the hell would I want to know how much a combine costs? How do I even know what a combine is?

I'll tell you, it is a weird one. In 1998, I went to teach English in Poland; I was in a small mining area south of Gdansk. One night I was at a bar with some of the other teachers, when this guy excitedly calls us over, "In America, how much does a kombajn cost?" We look at each other agog; there are a lot of questions about America that we can answer, but this is not one of them. Some of us don't even know what a combine is. We're all urbanites, none of us even lives near a farmer. We explain this. The poor man was crestfallen. So I decided I should know how much a combine costs, in case I'm ever asked again.

Now, asking how much a combine costs is kind of like asking how much a car costs: what make? what model? what features are you looking for? how much horsepower? how many acres are you harvesting? new or used? how used?

Since I found it difficult to get a quote on a new combine without calling someone, and since I am so not interested in owning a combine (I think they're bigger than my back yard), I just found what I could find on the internet. Used combines range in price from about $80,000 to $225,000.

But it's the shipping that really gets you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You just never know when all the useless knowledge in your brain will suddenly become useful. Here's hoping you will be able to use that fact in conversation soon!