Monday, February 09, 2009

New York

When I lost my job, the biggest disappointment to me was that the dude and I weren't going to be able to go to New York to see Speed the Plow like we had been planning. Then I got an e-mail from Travel Zoo with special offers on Broadway shows. I thought there's no way Speed the Plow is going to be one of these shows. But it was. We could go for half the price we had been talking about. Then I found a Westin Hotel for under $200. Then we started talking about doing it again. The play closes at the end of February, and next weekend is my niece's birthday and the weekend after that is my sister's 40th. So we had to go this weekend and I'm glad we did.

Speed the Plow was full of snappy Mamet dialogue. This is the play that Jeremy Piven walked away from due to mercury poisoning which prompted Mamet to quip, "He is leaving show business to pursue a career as a thermometer." So we saw it with William H. Macy, who was quite good. Frankly, Raul Esparza stole the show. Good character, well-played. We're still talking about nuances of the script and the performances and about Hollywood in general (we did live there for 14 years!)

On Sunday, we walked up to the Frick, so that I could complete another thing on my list. I lived in NYC for two years, but there was a lot that I didn't see or do. Mostly lack of funds. I was living on youth and air in those days. Although Frick didn't collect a lot of American art, the Whistlers are my favorites of what I saw. And it was some house.

We didn't get up to the Cloisters. Mostly because we had vowed to walk for exercise and there was no way I was walking to the Bronx. Also, I didn't want to monopolize the whole trip! It was wonderful and I look forward to being employed so that we can do this again. I have the feeling we'll do it much more often now that we see how easy it all is.

This trip also confirmed that I want to do #4 on the list, take my nieces to New York. The dude is much less thrilled with the prospect since I'd like to take them to Lion King and the American Girl cafe. Sissy and I talked about it when I was taking her to the airport this mornin
g. She's game. Yet another reason to find gainful employment!


The Dude
Chess and Checkers House, Central Park

No comments: