Wednesday, February 20, 2008

#50 Exercise three days/week for 3 months

I've been trying to decide whether I should make this public to keep myself on track or if I should wait until I've been a little successful, then announce how great I am. I am going for the former.

One prong of Weight Watchers' four pronged approach to weight loss is exercise, and that's what we talked about at last week's meeting. One of the recommended methods to keep yourself on track is to use a visual reminder. The leader, who is nice but rather unimaginative, suggested putting a photo of your fat self on the refrigerator. Honey, if that worked I never would have gone this far down the wrong road. My mother's had fat photos of herself on the fridge my whole life. But it did start me thinking: two of the skinniest people I know keep a calendar on their refrigerator and every day they write in what they did for exercise that day. I noticed in cramped hand there was "2 hours basketball" (his) and "45 minutes yoga" (hers); "45 minute run" and "60 minute aerobics video." I couldn't stand there staring at it all day committing it to memory, but you get the idea. I thought this was a much better visual reminder than a fat ass photo, so I told the story and ended with my own flourish, "And these are skinny people! They don't even need to be doing this!" To which the leader responded, "Maybe they do."

Oh.

Then it occurred to me that the her of the couple started out in that relationship with what my father likes to call a two axe handle ass. Maybe she did.

So I've been dutifully keeping track since Saturday. So far the calendar reads: "30 minute walk," "30 minute elliptical trainer," "55 minute yoga," and "35 minute aerobic video." My goal is to go the whole month, every day. I know I said three days a week, but maybe if I overshoot, I'll actually end up doing three days. I'll worry about the three months when I've gotten through the first. One day at a time, as Bill W. likes to say.

You've probably noticed that ticker hasn't moved since October. Something must be done.

4 comments:

Brave Astronaut said...

I know where the gym is in my building. I've even been there. Someday, I might return.

Susie said...

Go for it!

My WW leader does not believe the fat picture on the fridge is a good thing. She tells us all the time that it's a negative way of thinking that is likely to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. She suggests instead that we display pictures of ourselves at our goal weight. For me that means a picture from when I was 21... 18 years ago...

Anonymous said...

I have a skinny picture of me on my ice box - yes, maybe I'll show it to you - but it doesn't seem to help either.

Best of luck to you! No fudge at camp, afterall. It's a good thing.

dd

Michelle said...

Good for you! I think this is a great way to inspire yourself as well as to see your successes.