Tuesday, May 13, 2008

#14 Read 16 Works of Fiction

Ella Minnow Pea
by Mark Dunn

Another in the series of books recommended by Nancy Pearl, Ella Minnow Pea is a "progressively lipogrammatic epistolary fable." On a fictional island nation off the coast of South Carolina, a government grows steadily more oppressive (linguistically at first) as letters fall from a statue dedicated to the developer of the pangram "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." The situation grows increasingly absurd until half the island is in exile. In the past few years I have found reading books about oppressive governments to cause me to feel increasing dis-ease. Especially when so many characters are willing to stand by and let the government do as it pleases. Interestingly, the Kirkus review calls this book "lighthearted" where LJ (in a starred review) compares it to "The Lottery" or "Fahrenheit 451" with "farce and comic relief" stirred in. I have to say I'm on the side of Library Journal. Other reviewers say it's a book for people who love words and wordplay, and I'll admit to you I needed to use the dictionary once while I was reading. It's surprising how obscure words come to the fore when you can't/don't write with the letters q, z, j, and d.
Fiction: 15

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the new word of the day: pangram.

Michelle said...

You know I just finished a book called Gentlemen of the Road (Michael Chabon), and he used a lot of what I would consider little-known or little-used words. Many in my book club read the book with a dictionary near by.