Thursday, May 22, 2008

#15 Read 16 Works of Non-fiction

This book is a record of the traveling I would like to do. I would like to go somewhere and get into the culture. I suppose I did that to an extent when I taught English in Poland, but there was something extra safe about being able to call on friends and colleagues when my complete lack of Polish got in the way of me ordering food, about spending time in large groups at tourist destinations, about being carried into the emergency room but surrounded by people who spoke my language.

Erika Warmbrunn decided to run away with her bicycle to Russia and rode all the way to Vietnam. In time she learned to walk into Mongolian gers when she sought shelter, how to offer food to people in China, and how to properly address people in Vietnam. Erika's writing is very good, and she's able to express the human warmth that is generated by a bowl of soup, or sharing a bed, or washing one's feet in (finally) hot water. She is generous about all of the people she meets which makes the reader like her all the more.

I don't remember Erika specifically, though we seem to have been in Russian class together at Bryn Mawr. Her facility with languages and my utter lack thereof may be part of the reason; she was probably one of those people who just wished I would study more (I did!) or drop the class (what and work hard to become mediocre in yet another required language?) .

Erika claims that there is nothing she did that we all couldn't do. But I think there is. The dude, for example, really isn't much of a bike rider (he's ridden twice in nearly 40 years). With my crazy gut illness and falling down issues and chopping myself to pieces problem, I really couldn't have spent that much time in a country that still uses 1950s-style medicine. (I know this about Mongolia because I interviewed a doctor who does heart surgeries there.) Also, there's the complete lack of language facility--though I can say ferroviaria like a native Italian. Unfortunately, I can ask for the train station or a stamp in Rome but not understand the directions I get in return. And in the 15 or so years since she went and did this crazy thing there have been more white people traveling to the far corners of the earth. But she's also right; each of us can put one foot in front of the other and complete a journey of 5000 miles. We only need open our hearts.

Non-fiction: 6.5

This is my 100th posts and I wish that meant I was closer to finishing 101 things than I am. Sigh.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love books like this...books that are a journey and a travelogue all in one. I'll have to put this on my list.