Sunday, June 07, 2009

#2 New Restaurants

Last night the dude and I went out with another couple to Bistro Juliana in Fishtown. It was a small neighborhood BYOB and quite good. I started with the red and yellow beet salad which I really enjoyed. The dude had the grilled octopus started which was the best of all. Wallace had a starter special that I forget, and Gromit* had the calamari. The squid was good.

Gromit and the dude had orecchiette with shrimp for the entree; they both liked it thought they were disappointed that they didn't look more like ears. Wallace had the linguine special, which I can't remember, but I do remember that Gromit said she liked hers better. I had the ravioli special with shrimp and scallops in a vodka cream sauce. Wallace almost had that but Gromit reminded him that he didn't like ravioli or vodka cream sauce. Go ahead and laugh. Earlier, when the waiter was telling us the specials, I had to remind the dude he doesn't like gnocchi. (Gromit also orders gnocchi but doesn't like it.) I think they all want to like these dishes they keep ordering, but are always disappointed. Apparently I am the only person who orders food I like. That may go a long way in explaining why it takes me a million years to figure out what I want.

I didn't have dessert but the dude had the tiramisu, and Wallace had the chocolate mousse cake. Thumbs up all around.

I know I pretend to be misanthropic but I really enjoyed last night's dinner. I think we're going to do it again, but they want to try a restaurant we've already been to. No problem, I have two and a half years...

The dude hoped this counted for No. 79 but I told him it didn't. If Mr. Obama can make time for his Mrs. so can the dude.

*Not her real name.

No comments: